See more information about Elbert County Extension's services in:
What Is UGA Extension?
UGA Extension is a county, state and federal funded organization supported by specialists in the University of Georgia's College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences and the College of Family and Consumer Sciences.
History of Extension
In 1862, President Abraham Lincoln signed the Morrill Act, which established Land Grant Colleges throughout the nation. Each land grant institution would have a College of Agriculture that must teach classes, serve the public and perform research. In 1914, Senator Hoke Smith from Georgia and Representative Ashbury Lever from South Carolina presented the Smith –Lever Act, which established the Cooperative Extension Service. The Act was passed in Congress and signed into law by the President. This legislature required that the Cooperative Extension Service, as the service arm of the land grant institutions in each state, provide information in agriculture & natural resources, family & consumer sciences, and 4-H & youth development.
Scope of Extension
Did you know that every county in Georgia has an Extension service, providing unbiased, research-based education in agriculture, the environment, communities, youth and families? Take a look at our Extension diagram, which provides a visual representation of the scope of Cooperative Extension in the United States.
- May 31
- Well.... What Do You Know? A Well & Drinking Water Workshop (90.0 miles)
- 2:00 PM | Forsyth, GA
- This workshop will assist clients that have a well as their source of water for the home. Dr. Uttam Saha, UGA Extension Water Quality Specialist, will join Monroe County Extension in presenting this well water workshop to introduce protecting your well and drinking water. Topics to be discussed are: understanding the basics of the well, how to protect the well from contamination, uranium in well water, radon in air and in well water, and how to test your well water. This workshop is important for clients that have wells to understand well water safety is up to the client. Come join us to understand this important topic.
- Jun 8
- Home Food Preservation (86.0 miles)
- 9:00 AM | Sandersville, GA
- Join us for a hands-on food preservation experience! Participants will learn the basics of hot water bath canning and learn how to can tomatoes using fresh ingredients.
- Jun 12
- Cooking for a Lifetime: Cancer Prevention Cooking School (88.0 miles)
- 9:30 AM | Madison, GA
- Learn about reducing the risk of cancer; who should get screened for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer; how to get screened. Free cookbook, recipe tasting and PRIZES*. FREE to attend! *All who attend will be entered into a drawing for one of two gift cards valued at $25 each plus eligible for door prizes.