Agriculture & Natural Resources
Colquitt County Ag Report
- 2016 UGA On Farm Cotton Variety Trials
- Posted by Jeremy Kichler on Feb 8, 2017
- Variety selection is one of the most important steps in cotton production. Dr. Jared Whitaker, UGA Cotton Agronomist, discussed variety information at the Colquitt County cotton production meeting a few weeks ago. Below is information on variety performance over the last two years from 44 locations around the state. Below...
- Read More
- 2017 University of Georgia and Georgia Department of Agriculture Required Classroom Trainings for Applying Auxin Herbicides in Auxin-Tolerant Technologies
- Posted by Jenna Kicklighter Brock on Jan 13, 2017
- Read More
- 2016 Colquitt County Corn Variety Demonstration
- Posted by Jeremy Kichler on Nov 18, 2016
- Results from the 2016 Colquitt County Corn Variety Demonstration can be seen below. Thank you to all the seed sources and people who assisted with the planting, managing and harvesting of this project. 2016-colquitt-county-corn-variety-demonstration
- Read More
2017 Crop Production Meetings
Cotton Meeting ~ January 27, 2017 @ 12:00 PM
Tobacco Meeting ~ January 31, 2017 @ 10:00 AM
Vegetable Meeting ~ Febraury 1, 2017 @ 12:00 PM
Pecan Meeting ~ Febraury 14, 2017 @ 12:00 PM
Weed Management/Farmer Appreciation Dinner
Febrauary 16, 2017 @ 6:00 PM
Peanut Meeting ~ February 27, 2017 @ 12:00 PM
At each meeting, we will have UGA specialists speaking and a meal will be provided, as well as pesticide/CEU credits.
Please make sure to call the office at 229-616-7455 to RVSP for the meetings.
Below are some of UGA Extension's most broadly useful resources for those involved in agriculture on the farm, in schools, and around the home.
- Statewide Variety Testing
- Which varieties should you plant? The variety testing team does the work and research for farmers.
- Sustainable Agriculture
- A collection of resources for those interested in production and marketing practices that are profitable, environmentally sound, and that improve the quality of life for farmers, farm workers and the community.
- UGA Weather Network
- Reliable weather information for agricultural and environmental applications, including soil temperature, rainfall, wind speed, and more.
- Ag Budgets and Economics
- Resources for production economics, farm management, marketing, situation and outlook, risk management, financial management, farm policy, labor, and taxation.
- Pesticide Safety Education
- Everything you needed to achieve certification and maintain the knowledge to safely and effectively make use of restricted-use and all other pesticides.
- Farm Gate Value Report
- Annual county-level reports documenting the value of all food and fiber commodities grown in the state.
Home & Garden
- Soil Testing
- Ensure that your soil is productive! Get your soil tested to determine the amount and kind of nutrients that should be added for the best growth.
- Pest Management
- Recommendations for pest control around homes, on pets, in the home garden, and more.
- Home Garden Publication Series
- Topics include garden planning, soil preparation, weed control, pollination, disease & insect control, harvesting, and preserving.
- Native Plants for Georgia
- Detailed information on native trees, shrubs and woody vines in Georgia, focusing on those available in the nursery trade.
- Household Water Quality
- Water quality has an immediate and a prolonged effect on the health of your household. This publication series contains basic information about home water quality and treatment.
- Georgia Green Industry Professional Development
- The UGA Center for Urban Agriculture offers professional training and certifications for the Georgia Certified Landscape Professional, Georgia Certified Plant Professional exam and Super Crew employee training series.
- Community and School Gardens
- This Community and School Gardens blog is designed to help community and school gardeners succeed by connecting them to UGA Extension and other research-based resources.
- Lesson Plans and Teacher Resources
- Whether you'd like to help protect the environment, teach your students how to avoid chronic diseases with healthy food and physical activity, or train food handlers in your cafeteria, University of Georgia Extension can help.