Agriculture & Natural Resources
- Jun 6-Jun 8
- 3-Day MG Sprouts Day Camp (35.0 miles)
- 7:30 AM | Roberta, GA
- You're never too young to become a Master Gardener! Join us for three fun filled days of garden exploration and learning through 6 experiential literacy based lessons. Must sign up for all three days. Cost: $50, includes lunch and two snacks each day. Open to the first 15 to register. This program is for 6, 7, and 8 year olds. Child must be 6 by June 1, 2017.
- Jun 24
- Growing Exceptional Tomatoes (35.0 miles)
- 9:30 AM | Warm Springs, GA
- Rena Abernathy, heirloom tomato aficionado, has been saving seeds for over twenty years and grows around 150 varieties of tomatoes. She will be talking about the best heirloom tomato varieties to grow and how to save seeds for next year's garden. Susan James, the ANR Agent for Meriwether County, will discuss best practices for growing healthy tomato plants and the most common diseases and pests of tomatoes. In SC she worked with both conventional and organic commercial producers of tomatoes.
Below are some of UGA Extension's most broadly useful resources for those involved in agriculture on the farm, in schools, and around the home.
- Statewide Variety Testing
- Which varieties should you plant? The variety testing team does the work and research for farmers.
- Sustainable Agriculture
- A collection of resources for those interested in production and marketing practices that are profitable, environmentally sound, and that improve the quality of life for farmers, farm workers and the community.
- UGA Weather Network
- Reliable weather information for agricultural and environmental applications, including soil temperature, rainfall, wind speed, and more.
- Ag Budgets and Economics
- Resources for production economics, farm management, marketing, situation and outlook, risk management, financial management, farm policy, labor, and taxation.
- Pesticide Safety Education
- Everything you needed to achieve certification and maintain the knowledge to safely and effectively make use of restricted-use and all other pesticides.
- Farm Gate Value Report
- Annual county-level reports documenting the value of all food and fiber commodities grown in the state.
Home & Garden
- Soil Testing
- Ensure that your soil is productive! Get your soil tested to determine the amount and kind of nutrients that should be added for the best growth.
- Pest Management
- Recommendations for pest control around homes, on pets, in the home garden, and more.
- Home Garden Publication Series
- Topics include garden planning, soil preparation, weed control, pollination, disease & insect control, harvesting, and preserving.
- Native Plants for Georgia
- Detailed information on native trees, shrubs and woody vines in Georgia, focusing on those available in the nursery trade.
- Household Water Quality
- Water quality has an immediate and a prolonged effect on the health of your household. This publication series contains basic information about home water quality and treatment.
- Georgia Green Industry Professional Development
- The UGA Center for Urban Agriculture offers professional training and certifications for the Georgia Certified Landscape Professional, Georgia Certified Plant Professional exam and Super Crew employee training series.
- Community and School Gardens
- This Community and School Gardens blog is designed to help community and school gardeners succeed by connecting them to UGA Extension and other research-based resources.
- Lesson Plans and Teacher Resources
- Whether you'd like to help protect the environment, teach your students how to avoid chronic diseases with healthy food and physical activity, or train food handlers in your cafeteria, University of Georgia Extension can help.
error! Error while executing script plainlist.jsp