Your Cooperative Extension office, a department of Columbus Consolidated Government, provides the Columbus community with many services.
With over 1150 children enrolled in 4-H clubs, we're in 18 schools in Columbus. 4-H also works with over 250 children at Fort Benning. 4-H members highlight each year with a week of summer camp at Rock Eagle.
Our local Georgia Master Gardener Extension Volunteer Program logged in 2,825 hours of service in Muscogee County for a value of $65,192.20. Those hours were spent monitoring water quality in local streams, teaching children and adults about the environment, home garden visits, and other community service projects.
Our Positive Parenting programs provide parenting support and education to over 700 families in the Columbus area. We also provide training to 60 professional childcare providers, helping those centers provide quality care and education to many children in Columbus.
Our agents provide classes to individuals and other agencies throughout Columbus. Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program teaches families how to save money on food and how to make really good, inexpensive and quick meal for your family. Family and Consumer Sciences provides classes on living with chronic diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes.
- Aug 1-Aug 2
- ServSafe Restaurant Manager Food Safety Certification (78.0 miles)
- 8:30 AM | Albany, GA
- You can improve your food safety and sanitation skills through a nationally recognized food safety sanitation course. The class is 16 hours by a Certified ServSafe Trainer of UGA Family and Consumer Sciences, Suzanne Williams. This course meets the new GA Food Code requirements and is certified through the National Restaurant Association and includes the course book, supplies, educational materials, exam, instruction, and refreshments. Successful completion of the exam provides certification. The class fee of $140.00 includes course book, supplies, educational materials, exam, instructions, and refreshments. Lunch is on your own.
- Aug 9
- Georgia Master Gardener Extension Volunteer Training (66.0 miles)
- 1:30 PM | LaGrange, GA
- The Master Gardener Extension Volunteer program in Georgia is a volunteer training program designed to help University of Georgia Cooperative Extension Staff transfer research-based information about gardening and related subjects to the public by training home gardeners. Master Gardener Extension Volunteers are active in many Georgia counties. Through this program UGA Extension is able to reach out and serve more citizens with educational programming and demonstrations in these five target areas: Environmental Stewardship Home Food Production Gardening with Youth Value of Landscapes Health Benefits of Gardening UGA requires background checks of each applicant
- Aug 11
- Commercial Pesticide Applicators Exam Prep (22.0 miles)
- 8:00 AM | Columbus, GA
- Anne Randle, ANR Agent for Muscogee County, will lead a four hour review for the Georgia General Standards and Category 24 (ornamentals and turfgrass) exams. Participants should order and review texts before attending and be prepared for practice quizzes. Registration includes breakfast and disc of course materials. No CEUs available; this course is strictly for those preparing to take the applicators exam.