The Butts County Cooperative Extension Office extends lifelong learning to Georgia citizens through unbiased, research-based education.
We offer services in the following areas
Have questions or want to know more?
- Jan 10-Feb 28
- Journeyman Farmer Training-Small Ruminant Production (63.0 miles)
- 6:00 PM | Carrollton, GA
- The Journeyman Farmer Certificate Program is a comprehensive training program for beginning and small farmers provided by UGA Cooperative Extension. This program is the second in the series and will address: Part 2- Small Ruminants Production Course ***Parts one through three must be completed in order and all parts of the program must be completed to obtain certification. Small Ruminant Production is a six week training developed by Fort Valley State University in partnership with UGA Extension. Topics include: goat and sheep breeds and selection, nutrition and body scoring, pasture management, predator control, health and diseases, reproduction and kidding/lambing, integrated parasite management, as well as meats and marketing. The training includes a session with live animals to practice body condition scoring, hoof trimming and checking for internal parasites.
- Feb 20-Feb 21
- ServSafe Manager Certification Training and Exam (68.0 miles)
- 10:30 AM | Sandersville, GA
- Georgia Cooperative Extension provides the nationally recognized and accredited ServSafe® training for foodservice managers from the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF). Upon successful completion of the ServSafe® examination, the ServSafe® Food Protection Manager certificate will be issued by the NRAEF. Workshops are offered in multiple locations throughout the state; see each training's contact for details.
- Feb 21-Feb 22
- Developing a Food Safety Plan for Your Fresh Produce Operation includes PSA Grower Training (56.0 miles)
- 8:00 AM | Athens, GA
- The UGA Extension Food Science Outreach, GFVGA, and Produce Safety Alliance are sponsoring this expanded PSA training program, designed to teach produce safety and good handling practices. The complete Produce Safety Alliance Grower Training Course will be presented in this year's workshop. Participants will be eligible to receive a certificate of attendance from AFDO to verify that they completed the PSA grower training. SPECIAL ADDITIONS Hands-on break-out sessions on developing and documenting a written food safety plan with SOPs, as they apply to farm and field operations, packing facilities, and produce shippers. Participants will learn to use microbial testing as a verification tool for audit compliance. The microbial lab is a great favorite of past attendees. The goal of these interactive sessions is to assist participants in developing a written Food Safety Plan that they can implement in their specific operations.
error! Cannot get a connection, pool error Timeout waiting for idle object