Our mission is to extend lifelong learning to Georgia citizens through unbiased, research-based education in agriculture, the environment, communities, youth and families.
What's happening in Mitchell County?
Browse our website to learn more about the programs offered by UGA Cooperative Extension in our community!
Mitchell County Ag News
- Peanut Fungicide Programs
- Posted by ashirley on Jun 17, 2016
- After the rain we have had now is the time to start spraying our peanuts with fungicides. We need to pick a fungicide program based on Peanut Rx that best fits our fields. Below is a link to all of the spray programs from different companies. Also I posted some comments from Dr. Bob Kemerait on peanuts diseases! Peanut Rx and Various Fungicide Programs
- Read More
- May 24-May 25
- ServSafe Manager Certification Training and Exam (44.0 miles)
- 8:30 AM | Tifton, GA
- UGA Tift County Extension provides the Nationally recognized and accredited ServSafe® training for food service managers from the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF). Upon successful completion of the ServSafe® examination, the ServSafe® Food Protection Manager certificate will be issued by the NRAEF. The training is from 8:30am - 5:00pm, both days. $140.00
- May 25
- Lowndes County AgAware Training for Journeyman Farmer Program (62.0 miles)
- 9:00 AM | Valdosta, GA
- The Journeyman Farmer Program offers comprehensive training for beginning farmers. The program involves three steps: AgAware or Small Farm Business Training, Small Fruit and Vegetable Production or Small Ruminant Production, and Hands-On internship/mentorship. This is the first part of the training offered in Lowndes County and is open to all. Those who wish to apply for the Hands-On component must complete steps 1 and 2. The classes will be held in the Lowndes County Extension office on May 25 from 9-4pm.
- May 25
- Baking Basics (26.0 miles)
- 6:00 PM | Albany, GA
- Baking Basics: Cakes, Muffins, Quick Breads, and Crepes- Thursday, May 25 ** Class Limited to 10 participants** 6:00 pm until 8:30 pm ~ $15.00 Materials Fee We are rapidly losing the age old practice of baking. Most of us resort to hitting the grocery store, bakery, or restaurants for these items. Some of my most fond memories were of baking with my Grandmother. Come to this hands-on cooking laboratory and get ready for some fun. Bring an apron and a box to transport left overs.