Extension Serves the Entire Community
Athens-Clarke County Extension offers a wealth of information and services for residents of our county. Agents and trained support staff provide educational programs as well as a number of services. Our Agriculture and Natural Resources agent offers landscape and gardening information to residents, Master Gardener and other classes as well as water and soil testing and access to UGA informative publications. Our 4-H agent creates and organizes youth educational programs including competitive events which will assist young people to develop citizenship, leadership, responsibility and life skills through experiential learning. Our Family and Consumer Science agent offers and designs educational programs for the community needs, provides information you can trust on money, home, health, food and family and oversees the SNAP-Ed program which helps families on a budget learn to eat healthy.
Athens-Clarke County Outdoor Watering Restrictions
Due to continuing drought conditions, Athens-Clarke (along with 51 other Georgia counties) has implemented mandatory Level 2 outdoor watering restrictions. Drought Response Level 2 limits outdoor landscape watering to two days a week using the odd/even address system. Street addresses that are an odd number may water on Wednesday and Saturday before 10 AM and after 4 PM. Even numbered addresses and those that are not numbered may water on Thursday and Sunday before 10 AM and after 4 PM. Some activities are prohibited entirely including washing driveways, sidewalks, and personal vehicles. Please refer to the Environmental Protection Division of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources and Athens-Clarke County Public Works for complete information regarding prohibited and permitted uses of water outdoors.
- Dec 15
- Irrigation Training for Landscape Professionals (6241.0 miles)
- 12:00 PM | Athens, GA
- Training topics include: Irrigation components, watering principles, proper scheduling, and common repairs. This will be a combination of hands-on and classroom presentations. There will be Georgia Pesticide Applicator recertification license credits offered as well as Irrigation Association credits. Space is limited - register by Monday, December 12. Cost is $15 per person and includes refreshments.
- Dec 16
- 4-H Portfolio Due for Project Achievement Competition
- 8:00 AM | Athens, GA
- Students in grades 7-12 who plan to participate in project achievement competition must complete a portfolio of their activities by December 16 and submit it to the Athens-Clarke County 4-H office. Contact Ms. Conway to make an appointment for individual instruction and assistance in preparing your portfolio.
- Dec 19
- 4-H for Clarke Homeschool Students
- 6:00 PM | Athens, GA
- Homeschooled students in grades 5-8 are invited to come to the county Extension office for a 4-H club designed especially to fit their needs. The Homeschool Club will meet regularly on the 3rd Monday of each month. The next meeting will be on Monday, December 19 from 6:00 to 7:00 PM.
Ask an Expert
Ask an Expert is a site where you can get expert answers and help from Cooperative Extension/University staff and volunteers from across the United States. Our staff is available to answer your questions with current research based information or to share details regarding UGA Extension Athens-Clarke County programs. Simply fill out the short form below to submit your question and receive an email response.
Do You Need a Speaker?
UGA Extension Athens-Clarke County agents and trained volunteers are available to present educational programs of interest to your group or organization. We offer programs tailored to fit your needs in a variety of topics including landscaping, home gardening, healthy lifestyles, nutrition, food safety, 4-H youth development and more. Our educators keep busy schedules so it is important to make a speaker request as early as possible to get a spot on our calendar. You may contact through the form below or consult our Contact Us page to access the contact information for a specific staff member. We look forward to working with you.