The Wilcox County Cooperative Extension Office extends lifelong learning to Georgia citizens through unbiased, research-based education. We are dedicated to helping people in our community find answers to questions related to the following areas:
Have questions or want to know more?
- Aug 25
- Journeyman Farmer Certificate Program for Beginning Farmers (48.0 miles)
- 9:00 AM | Albany, GA
- UGA Extension is launching the Journeyman Farmer program that provides a comprehensive training for beginning farmers. The program includes a three step training: Step 1 - Small Farm Business Planning Step 2 - Vegetable Production Step 3 - Hands-on Production Small Farm Business Planning: August 2016 in Dougherty County Vegetable Production: January 2017 in Dougherty County WHEN: 4-Day training Small Farm Business Planning Tues., Aug. 16, 9am – 12pm Thurs., Aug. 18, 9am – 12pm Tues., Aug. 23, 9am – 12pm Thurs., Aug. 25, 9am – 12pm WHERE:Dougherty County Extension- 125 Pine Ave., Candy Room- Albany, GA 31701 The program is free, but registration is required. To register, call Dougherty County Extension at (229)436-7216.
- Sep 13-Sep 14
- SW Area Forestry Contest (78.0 miles)
- Cuthbert, GA
- SW Area Forestry Contest
- Sep 14-Sep 15
- SE Area Forestry Contest (79.0 miles)
- Reidsville, GA
- SE Area Forestry Contest
- Your Household Water Quality: Odors in Your Water (C 1016)
- Published 6/29/2016
- Homeowners sometimes experience unpleasant odors in their household water. In many cases, the exact cause of the odor is difficult to determine by water testing; however, this publication provides a few general recommendations for treating some common causes of household water odors.
- Read More
- Native Plants for Georgia Part I: Trees, Shrubs and Woody Vines (B 987)
- Published 5/23/2016
- This publication focuses on native trees, shrubs and woody vines for Georgia. It is not our intent to describe all native species — just those available in the nursery trade and those that the authors feel have potential for nursery production and landscape use. Rare or endangered species are not described. Information on each plant is provided according to the following categories: Common Name(s)/Botanical Name/Family, Characteristics, Landscape Uses, Size, Zones and Habitat.
- Read More
- Vegetable Garden Calendar (C 943)
- Published 5/25/2016
- The recommendations in this circular are based on long-term average dates of the last killing frost in the spring and first killing frost in the fall. Every year does not conform to the "average," so you should use your own judgment about advancing or delaying the time for each job, depending on weather conditions.
- Read More