The Towns County Cooperative Exension Office extends lifelong learning to Georgia citizens through unbiased, research-based education.
Some of our most popular services include:
Have questions or want to know more?
- Jan 10-Feb 28
- Journeyman Farmer Training-Small Ruminant Production (151.0 miles)
- 6:00 PM | Carrollton, GA
- The Journeyman Farmer Certificate Program is a comprehensive training program for beginning and small farmers provided by UGA Cooperative Extension. This program is the second in the series and will address: Part 2- Small Ruminants Production Course ***Parts one through three must be completed in order and all parts of the program must be completed to obtain certification. Small Ruminant Production is a six week training developed by Fort Valley State University in partnership with UGA Extension. Topics include: goat and sheep breeds and selection, nutrition and body scoring, pasture management, predator control, health and diseases, reproduction and kidding/lambing, integrated parasite management, as well as meats and marketing. The training includes a session with live animals to practice body condition scoring, hoof trimming and checking for internal parasites.
- Jan 26
- UGA GrassMasters - Session 3 (67.0 miles)
- 6:00 PM | Athens, GA
- UGA GrassMasters is a 7-week educational series on forage production. Session 3 is on pest management strategies.
- Jan 31-Feb 1
- Conservation Production Systems Training Conference/Workshop (236.0 miles)
- 1:00 PM | Douglas, GA
- A training conference for growers wanting to improve their knowledge and practice of conservation tillage. Topics presented by University of Georgia, University of Tennessee, USDA, and Peanut Foundation personnel along with growers, will provide information on how to get started with conservation tillage, cover crop mixes, managing fertility, controlling weeds and insects, increasing beneficial insects and pollinators, using cover crops in grazing systems, and the economics of conservation tillage. The conference will end with a field day and equipment display.