Newton County Cooperative Extension
UGA Extension Newton County offers educational programs in the areas of horticulture and agriculture, food safety and nutrition, and leadership and citizenship for youth.
UGA Extension operates through a unique partnership with Newton County, the University of Georgia, the State of Georgia and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Backed up by specialists and a network of resources, Extension Agents have been on the job in Georgia since 1914.
Our mission is to extend lifelong learning to Georgia citizens through unbiased, research-based education in agriculture, the environment, communities, youth and families.
- Jan 10-Feb 28
- Journeyman Farmer Training-Small Ruminant Production (77.0 miles)
- 6:00 PM | Carrollton, GA
- The Journeyman Farmer Certificate Program is a comprehensive training program for beginning and small farmers provided by UGA Cooperative Extension. This program is the second in the series and will address: Part 2- Small Ruminants Production Course ***Parts one through three must be completed in order and all parts of the program must be completed to obtain certification. Small Ruminant Production is a six week training developed by Fort Valley State University in partnership with UGA Extension. Topics include: goat and sheep breeds and selection, nutrition and body scoring, pasture management, predator control, health and diseases, reproduction and kidding/lambing, integrated parasite management, as well as meats and marketing. The training includes a session with live animals to practice body condition scoring, hoof trimming and checking for internal parasites.
- Feb 22-Feb 27
- Georgia Junior National Livestock Show (78.0 miles)
- Georgia Junior National Livestock Show
- Feb 27-Feb 28
- ServSafe® Manager Training (31.0 miles)
- 8:30 AM | Griffin, GA
- ServSafe® Manager Training is a food safety training program approved by DHR. The certification is current for 5 years. This training includes: 1.5 days of instruction, certificate from NRAEF issued upon successful completion of the examination, includes ServSafe® 6th edition Managers book updated with the 2013 Food Code. For more information contact: Cindee Sweda (Spalding County Family and Consumer Science Agent) 770-467-4225.