Marion County Cooperative Extension
The Marion County Cooperative Extension Office extends lifelong learning to Georgia citizens through unbiased, research-based eduation.
Have questions or want to know more?
- Mar 25-Mar 31
- National 4-H Conference
- Washington, DC
- Connecting • Learning • Engaging • Leading • Impacting National 4-H Conference is the premier 4-H civic engagement national opportunity for youth. National 4-H Conference is the annual premiere national civic engagement opportunity for 4-H members across the country. Delegates will not only learn while at the conference. Delegates have the opportunity to practice and apply in a real world setting their newly developed and refined skills. Land Grant University 4-H Departments send a delegation size of their choice to participate in the conference. The selection and registration process is up to each Land Grant University 4-H Department. Youth delegates must be between ages 15 (by January 1 of the conference year) and 19 years old. The delegates choose an important societal topic and in round table groups prepare a briefing. During the conference, the groups present their briefing to federal officials around the Washington, D.C. area.
- Mar 28
- Southern Women in Agriculture: A Hands-On Basic Training (78.0 miles)
- 8:30 AM | Chula, GA
- This training is for all women interested or involved in agriculture. Participants will receive hands-on instruction on fencing, tractors, farm implements, trucks and trailers, cattle handling, and animal health. This training is taught by female Extension Agents.
- Mar 28
- Beef Cattle Short Course (41.0 miles)
- 6:30 PM | Thomaston, GA
- Upson County Extension will be hosting the Beef Cattle Short Course on March 14th, 21st, and 28th. The short course will begin with Lawton Stewart's presentation on surviving drought with livestock and Levi Russell with insurance and risk management. The second night will be at The Rock Ranch with a live animal demonstration and Jason Duggin discussing the market difference in calves. Dinner will be served the final night with Jacob Segers presenting an in-depth discussion of EPD's. Cost for this course will be $55 a person or $75 per couple, please register with the Upson Extension Office (706) 647-8989 by March 10th
- Your Household Water Quality: Odors in Your Water (C 1016)
- Published 3/28/2017
- Homeowners sometimes experience unpleasant odors in their household water. In many cases, the exact cause of the odor is difficult to determine by water testing; however, this publication provides a few general recommendations for treating some common causes of household water odors.
- Read More
- Native Plants for Georgia Part I: Trees, Shrubs and Woody Vines (B 987)
- Published 3/27/2017
- This publication focuses on native trees, shrubs and woody vines for Georgia. It is not our intent to describe all native species — just those available in the nursery trade and those that the authors feel have potential for nursery production and landscape use. Rare or endangered species are not described. Information on each plant is provided according to the following categories: Common Name(s)/Botanical Name/Family, Characteristics, Landscape Uses, Size, Zones and Habitat.
- Read More
Search other publications
- Conversion Tables, Formulas and Suggested Guidelines for Horticultural Use (B 931)
- Published 6/22/2016
- Pesticide and fertilizer recommendations are often made on a pounds per acre and tons per acre basis. While these may be applicable to field production of many crops, orchardists, nurserymen and greenhouse operators often must convert these recommendations to smaller areas, such as row feet, square feet, or even per tree or per pot. Thus pints, cups, ounces, tablespoons and teaspoons are the common units of measure. The conversion is frequently complicated by metric units of measure. This publication is designed to aid growers in making these calculations and conversions, and also provides other data useful in the management, planning and operation of horticultural enterprises.
- Read More