Welcome to Irwin County!
The Irwin County Extension Office extends learning to Georgia citizens through unbiased, research-based education in agriculture, the environment, communities, youth and families.
Some of our most popular services include:
- Soil and Water Tests
- Research-based Advice from Production Crops
- 4-H Summer Camps
- Health Programs like Walk Georgia
Have questions or want to know more?
Do you have a hankering for peanuts? If so, we have your fix right here at the Extension Office. Stop by our office today to purchase your bag of raw, shelled peanuts. These are sold year round and proceeds help to fund our 4-H program.
- May 24-May 25
- ServSafe Manager Certification Training and Exam (19.0 miles)
- 8:30 AM | Tifton, GA
- UGA Tift County Extension provides the Nationally recognized and accredited ServSafe® training for food service managers from the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF). Upon successful completion of the ServSafe® examination, the ServSafe® Food Protection Manager certificate will be issued by the NRAEF. The training is from 8:30am - 5:00pm, both days. $140.00
- May 25
- Lowndes County AgAware Training for Journeyman Farmer Program (57.0 miles)
- 9:00 AM | Valdosta, GA
- The Journeyman Farmer Program offers comprehensive training for beginning farmers. The program involves three steps: AgAware or Small Farm Business Training, Small Fruit and Vegetable Production or Small Ruminant Production, and Hands-On internship/mentorship. This is the first part of the training offered in Lowndes County and is open to all. Those who wish to apply for the Hands-On component must complete steps 1 and 2. The classes will be held in the Lowndes County Extension office on May 25 from 9-4pm.
- Jun 1
- Lowndes County Journeyman Farmer Program-Small Ruminant Production (57.0 miles)
- 6:00 PM | Valdosta, GA
- The Small Ruminant Production training provides an in-depth instruction on sheep and goat farming, from selecting breeds to marketing your product. The training includes five evening sessions and Hands-On Training with FAMACHA. It is open to all beginning farmers. Those who pass Step 1 (AgAware or Small Farm Business Training) and Step 2 (Small Ruminant Production Training) will be eligible to apply for a paid internship or mentorship with a local farmer. Classes will be held June 1, 8, 15, 22, 29 from 6-8pm and June 23rd for Hands-On Training with FAMACHA from 5:30-8pm. Please sign up by May 25 to guarantee your spot.
- Jun 13-Jun 14
- ServSafe® Manager Certification Training and Exam (38.0 miles)
- 8:30 AM | Lakeland, GA
- Georgia Cooperative Extension provides the nationally recognized and accredited ServSafe® training for foodservice managers from the National Restaurant Association Educational Foundation (NRAEF). Upon successful completion of the ServSafe® examination, the ServSafe® Food Protection Manager certificate will be issued by the NRAEF.
- Jun 21
- Cooking for a Lifetime Cancer Prevention Cooking School (85.0 miles)
- 2:00 PM | McRae, GA
- Learn about reducing the risk of cancer; who should get screened for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer; how to get screened. Free cookbook, Recipe tasting and PRIZES. *All who attend will be entered into a drawing for one of two fitness kits valued at $30 each.