Gilmer County is located in the North Central portion of Georgia at the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, about an hour north of Atlanta, and is known as the "Apple Capital of Georgia," holding an annual Apple Festival in Ellijay in October.
The UGA Extension office is located at 1123 Progress Road in Ellijay. Our staff includes a full time FACS Agent, ANR Agent, 4-H Agent, SNAP-Ed Program Assistant, AmeriCorps Member and Secretary. Stop by our office anytime between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday, except closed for lunch from 12 noon to 1 pm, and holidays, or browse this web site for more information on what we provide in these three program areas:
- Agriculture & Natural Resources (ANR)
- 4-H and Youth Development
- Family And Consumer Sciences (FACS)
The office in Gilmer County has active Master Gardener Extension Volunteers, offers seasonal Six Flags and White Water tickets sold as a 4-H Club fundraiser, Pressure Canner Guage testing, information on the local Cannery and Farmers Market, Pesticide Licenses, GATE Cards, Radon testing both in the home and water, as well as Soil, Water, Litter, Plant, and Feed & Forage testing, has 4-H Clubs, teams and competitions, plus educational activities and classes in all three program areas.
News You Can Use
- Renee Dotson, County Extension Coordinator & Family And Consumer Sciences (FACS) Agent, Has Retired
- Radon - Radioactive Gas (Info about Radon and how to order Test Kit online at UGA Extension, Athens)
- Class Schedule for Nutrition, Money/Budget, Food Talk through March 2017
- 4-H Cloverleaf Camp
- 4-H Junior Camp
- 4-H Newsletter January and February 2017
- Food Safety ("Is it done?") Safe Minimum Cooking Temperatures Chart
- This 2016 Farmers Market information will remain here until its replaced in the spring of 2017
- Guidelines for "When to Save and When to Throw it Out" When the Power Went Out