Our mission is to extend lifelong learning to Douglas County citizens through unbiased, research-based education in agriculture, the environment, communities, youth and families.
UGA Extension helps Georgians become healthier, more productive, financially independent and environmentally responsible. Extension agents stay in touch with issues relevant to people in local communities through county Extension offices.
- Your Household Water Quality: Odors in Your Water (C 1016)
- Published 9/2/2016
- Homeowners sometimes experience unpleasant odors in their household water. In many cases, the exact cause of the odor is difficult to determine by water testing; however, this publication provides a few general recommendations for treating some common causes of household water odors.
- Read More
- Native Plants for Georgia Part I: Trees, Shrubs and Woody Vines (B 987)
- Published 9/19/2016
- This publication focuses on native trees, shrubs and woody vines for Georgia. It is not our intent to describe all native species — just those available in the nursery trade and those that the authors feel have potential for nursery production and landscape use. Rare or endangered species are not described. Information on each plant is provided according to the following categories: Common Name(s)/Botanical Name/Family, Characteristics, Landscape Uses, Size, Zones and Habitat.
- Read More
- Vegetable Garden Calendar (C 943)
- Published 5/25/2016
- The recommendations in this circular are based on long-term average dates of the last killing frost in the spring and first killing frost in the fall. Every year does not conform to the "average," so you should use your own judgment about advancing or delaying the time for each job, depending on weather conditions.
- Read More
- Aug 23-Nov 8
- Junior Master Gardener Program (27.0 miles)
- 4:00 PM | Fayetteville, GA
- The Junior Master Gardener Program is an exciting youth program for current 3rd-5th graders. Youth will explore insects, flowers, fruits, wildlife, vegetable gardening, soil and water conservation and much more! The program meets every Tuesday from 4-6pm starting August 23rd until November 8th. We only have 20 spaces, so register early to reserve your spot!
- Sep 28
- Master Gardener Extension Volunteer Plant Clinic (30.0 miles)
- 9:00 AM | Peachtree City, GA
- Come join Master Gardener Extension Volunteers at our local Farmers Market in Peachtree City. Come visit our booth to learn more about educational programs sponsored by the Fayette County Extension Office, 4-H youth activities, and ask volunteers your garden questions.
- Sep 28-Sep 29
- ServSafe Manager Certification Training and Exam (43.0 miles)
- 9:00 AM | Conyers, GA
- UGA Extension provides the nationally recognized and accredited ServSafe® training for foodservice managers from the National Restaurant Association.This course meets the new GA Food Code requirements and successful completion of the exam provides certification. We offer the course over 2 days (9am-3:30pm), which provides a night to study before the exam. The class fee of $140.00 and includes course book, supplies, educational materials, exam, instructions, and refreshments. Lunch each day is on your own. Call the Rockdale County Extension office by September 14th to register.